Sunday, February 28, 2010

Arrival in Houston, TX

The flight from Laguardia was uneventful. Saw the first prius on the highway, didn't look all that small next to the SUVs, so I am still optimistic. The apartment complex where they have put me up is ridiculous to get in, there's no "on-foot" entrance, only cars can go in. Once the driver dropped me off, I realized there was no elevator to go to the second floor. I didn't want to haul my 70 pound suitcase up the stairs, so had to get back into the taxi and drive to the second floor of the parking lot, from where accessing the residential part was relatively easy. Welcome to Houston.

Got out to check out the route to the office, no sidewalks. No sidewalks, but still there are London style telephone booths, I bet they are phoney decorations. Walked a bit and saw a bus stop, a woman was waiting. On my way back, she was still waiting.

The fields are manicured, and not a sole (excuse the pun) has ever walked on them. The area feels lifeless although I did see a few people playing baseball in the park across the street, a few girls with dogs and an ambling couple.

However I located the best Tex-Mex restaurant in these parts, and also a local pub, so will go over shortly.

No comments: