Thursday, November 13, 2008

Tablet PC

John Vesey was visiting during the week, and I saw his Dell tablet PC, the onscreen writing abilities reminded me of Hector's tablet PC from way back when, but seemed much sleeker. So I was browsing for tablet PCs (if I still have a job, these days everything has to be predicated with that), and found 3 contenders:

  1. Electrovaya Scribbler SC4000 [about $2,000]
  2. Lenovo ThinkPad X61, [about $1,000 right now] and
  3. Dell Latitude XT [about $2,000]
From some of the reviews it seems to me that Lenovo is the best deal here. Electrovaya is the slimmest, Lenovo has all the advantages of IBM while remaining slim. Pen has an eraser, and right now its the cheapest. (Nothing extra below fold)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a toshiba tablet but the orientation feature broke. I think this means the accelerometer is broken. When I was taking engineering and math classes it was very useful, but now I don't use the tablet feature ever. I think all computers will be tablets within a few years, it just makes sense to have the extra feature. It turns out the feature I use the most though is the rotating screen to show other people things on my screen.

Dyutiman Das said...

thanks, I am looking at the X61, but mainly to scribble or read pdfs and ebooks. But your observations about usage are valid and something to think about. Basically I want a really good ebook reader which doesn't exist yet, so this is probably the closest approximation. Will post something on my findings on ebook readers in some other blog.

tunguz said...

I would recommend avoiding the Vista tablet PC and going for the XP version. Although the features in Vista re far superior, it's so buggy that it will be more frustrating to work with in a long run.

Dyutiman Das said...

Lenovo adds new feature to it's laptops. Basically if the laptop is stolen, you can send a text message to the computer to disable it. hmm, so if you steal the laptop, simply don't use the wireless.

Dyutiman Das said...

cheapest tablet revealed.